pages



























Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday July 1st, 2011 Rabbit Rabbit

"Rabbit, rabbit". It's what we always say on the first of every month. Why? Because I did it growing up. Why? Because my mom did it growing up. Why? Because her family did it growing up...you get my point.

You have to say it BEFORE your feet touch the floor after midnight- if you get up to go to the bathroom at 1:00 and don't say it, it really doesn't count if you try to say it when you get up at 6:00, or 7:00...

I guess all our families have these quirky little sayings they say, that stick around. If we have to get up early, like everyday thank to the twins, we always say, "time to make the doughnuts" Now we have said this for a very long time, not just since the twins, and it was particularly entertaining when Randy worked at a bakery in the wee hours one year when money was particularly tight. As my loyal, devoted husband would roll out of bed at 3:45 am to get to his extra job, he would say, "time to make the doughnuts" groggily...and we would chuckle.

There is also a rally cool line in Lord of the Rings when Gandalf is on the bridge holding back the Balrog (sp?) this really wicked looking demon thingy...and Gandalf slams his staff down and says in a loud booming voice "you shall not pass!" Well, everytime one of our older kids tries to open the rear door and get in the car, we always say, "You shall not pass!" in a Gandalf type voice due to the fact that there are three toddler car seats in the way. (How do they get in to the third seat you ask? Through the hatch...of course!)

When I was young, well actually until high school, which was young...my mom would see me off everyday by saying, "don't take any wooden nickles." really have no idea about that one, but guess what, I say it to my kids too, and they look at me with that same perplexed look that I bestowed upon my mother.

Occassionally, my kids come up with their own, we call this "Millerese" because I do think at times, we, and they, speak their own language-others watch in amazement as we converse about simple things...they love to say, "That's not-a nice" when someone does or says something mean, this is particularly good for breaking the tension, as we all have to giggle. This comes from a Your Baby can Read commercial when a little girl is reading from Charlottes Web about her father getting an axe and she looks at the camera and says, "That's not-a nice" My children find this hilarious, so it has made it into our reprotroire(know I spelled THAT wrong!

Sayings like this are just fun, and cute, and memorable...one of my absolute favorites was when Sebastian, now 14, was about 2, I was preparing an artichoke at my mom's for dinner. He looked at it and exclaimed, "Woah! Dat's a beeg brocci" (translation: woah, that's a big broccoli) It still makes me laugh out loud! So, you can imagine, if we are out and about, and see something really big, that you would hear us all say, "Woah! Dat's a beeg brocci!" Laughing at ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment