pages



























Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday August 17th, 2011 Back to School

I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods these days, but we are starting to experience some very early stirrings of fall...very early, very faint, but there...if you look, and lis ten, and smell...

The humidity is waning, the leaves are drying, the air has that certain scent to it. Oh, it'll be awhile, but it's a comin'...and the folklets here declared it was time for school! Really?

I guess I should start by admitting that after some soul searching, I have decided to change things up a bit...I am actually planning activities and organizing them this year. Following their leads of course, but not leaving them entirely on their own...I don't know where that fits in the realm of "unschooling", but it doesn't really matter to me this year. I love having my kids here, I love teaching and guiding them, so, what does it matter what we do or how we do it! There is such peace that comes to you when you have explored, obsessed, and worried over this for SO long, to finally realize what works for you-Relief! Happiness! Joy!

We started at morning nap time, after cleaning and tidying a bit (yes, I came to the realization that I cannot and should not have to do it alone...with 8 others in the house-relief!). We sat at the table and began animal research projects. Haven chose the Commerson's dolphin, Dominic the walrus, and Gretchen the clownfish. We even got Bean in on the action as she colored a sheet about the letter A and then tried to do a craft that really morphed into fingerpainting with glue! Then she and I went out for water play while every one else finished their projects.

There was scrabble, and legos, and reading...Magic Tree House #16 and Thirteen plus one. Now they are wrapping up with playmobil and we are eagerly awaiting Dad's arrival to give our animal presentations to him.

Good enough for today, pizza and salad for dinner...We'll see about tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment